History of Humberside Airport
- One terminal
- Half a million passengers a year
So how did it all begin?
Humberside airport began life known as Kirmington, an RAF base in 1941. It was 166 squadron who operated from Kirmington, and they were based here until 1945.
In 1945 the airport was abandoned to be used as farmland, before being put back into light use in 1960 when small airlines began operating their aircraft from the site.
This usage continued until 1968, and in 1969 the site was bought by the council and plans were made to turn it into a civil passenger airport.
In 1974 the council opened the passenger terminal to the public and Kirmington became known as Kirmington airport.
When the county of Humberside was formed shortly after this, the airport got its new name: Humberside airport.
The first scheduled flight out of Humberside was to Amsterdam in 1975.
The passenger terminal had the addition of a new restaurant in 1983. The airport was turned into a private limited company in 1987.
After this, extensive developments took place to the airport, including a runway extension that was opened in 1992.
In 1996 significant changes were made to the passenger terminal: new passenger lounges and check in facilities were built.
In 1999 the airport changed hands again when Manchester airport plc took control of its shares.